Sunday, October 16, 2005

Back to Basics (no pun intended)

Hi all,

Thanks for 'bearing' with me in my bodybuilding 'phase', I'm sure some of you knew I wasn't going to be able to pull this off for long ;-)

For those who did, you were wrong ... You see, I'm not a bodybuilder, I'm a wiry guy who likes being strong. Josh Everett said it best "but now my goal is simpler…. To Be Strong. I want to be able to be placed in any situation and be strong. I want the type of strength that transfers to every situation. I want people to say, "that's a strong dude" regardless of age or size. I just want to be considered strong, not for a little guy (5'9" 182), but just plain strong. Put me on a football field, in a weightlifting, powerlifting, TSC meet, or in a bar fight and I want respectable strength for all situations. To me that is the definition of "real" or "functional" strength. That is my goal of training."

So, I reverted back to the training that brought me great gains.

Basically, it's some heavy strength work followed by some heavy 'energy systems work' , then finishing with heavy abs.

In all of these, I will be focusing on my weaknesses, on things I am NOT good at.

Today I tested my strength for the upcoming cycle:

Warm-up

OHS w/ 30kg x 10
FSQ w/ 30kg x 5
w/ 50kg x 3
(Note: All Front Squats are executed from the bottom position. When I mention 3 reps, I first squat the bar from the bottom supports, then take my position, do 3 reps, and do an eccentric to reposition the bar on the supports)

Work Sets


FSQ w/ 60kg x 3
w/ 70kg x 3
w/ 72kg x 3

Full Contact Twists: 3x5 (L&R)

KB Swings 1x15 (L&R)

Janda Situps (Hands on forehead): 3x5

No comments: