Thursday, January 18, 2007

Olympic Lifting Day 2

Power Snatch w/ 30kg x 1 + 3 Drop Snatches
Power Snatch w/ 30kg x 2

[Power Snatch w/ 56kg x 1 x 15
1 minute rest]

Power Clean + Power Jerk w/ 56kg x 1,1
[Power Clean + Power Jerk w/ 68kg x 1 x 15
1 minute rest]

[Good Morning w/ 68kg x 4 x 6
2 minute rest]

NOTES:
-I'm happy with the progress I'm making and am excited to anticipate the 60kg Power Snatch and eventually in the near future, a 70kg power snatch (followed by 15 overhead squats with that weight, of course).
-The power variations are fun, but I have to keep my 'full' versions fresh. Once I reach my 70kg power snatch, I will start working on a >50kg drop snatch to work on my balance in the bottom position.
As for the full clean, I am seriously considering the purchase of some genuine olympic lifting shoes. I agree the are quite pricy, BUT they will:
a) significantly improve my form in the lifts (the added heel makes a big difference in your front squat, for sure)
b) increase my flexibility with regular shoes, as mentioned here.
-Eric Cressey's recent article 'What I learned in 2006'
included some very interesting bits of information. I especially liked lesson #5 and #9. Including those exercises in a weightlifting regime could really balance things out as we tend to work too much in the frontal plane, hardly ever moving sideways. This, however, IS the case in everyday athletic endeavors where any kind of running/quick change in direction is involved. One notable exercise exception might be kettlebell swings as seen explained by Mark Reifkind here and here. In summary, no training program is complete without any multi-planar & single leg movements.
For further reading please go to:
Top Ten Training Tips for Athletic Conditioning Success by Alwyn Cosgrove

-I just upped my amino acid intake and added some creatine to increase power production. These two supplements seem to work great together. Here's Christian Thibaudeau's take on things: "My super secret is to use a combo of creatine, BCAA, and glutamine five times per day. At each serving you ingest 5g of each. The BCAA powder should be at least 50% leucine as this is the most anabolic of the three BCAAs. Glutamine has gotten a bad rep, but when used as part of this stack it's effective. I've had clients gain up to eight pounds in two weeks while losing fat by adding this simple strategy."
-Please understand that my goal is not necessarily weight gain (although in the form of muscle it's a nice side effect), but power production and speedy recovery, focusing on quality supplementation.
-For more info on creatine and (BC)AA's go here:
'Dangerous Creatine' by David Barr
'The Creatine Controversy' by David Barr
'Creatine Combinations' by John Berardi
BCAA info

No comments: